Friday, July 19, 2013

What I've learned from George Zimmerman & Trayvon Martin

I'm sorry but I'm so over the Zimmerman/Martin thing. 

First, I {and I assume many of you} haven't combed the evidence or listened word for word to the trial and obviously weren't there so I feel we really have no say or valid opinion in the matter {that's why we have a jury and lawyers} but more importantly the idea that he was judged by his skin color or dress or actions is not a novel idea. It's been happening since the dawn of day. Is it sad, yes. But honestly it's a matter of survival. 
                           You don't go with the funny looking man offering you candy. 

                                                                    He might be an upstanding citizen, you don't do it. 

What I have taken away from this and what I will teach my daughter is that you should be cautious, after all it's a different world out there, but be cautious about your caution. And for heavens sake leave the situation if you can. Let people be {unless they're carrying a machine gun and yelling at the neighbors of course, and then just call 911 and walk the other way}.

Have frank conversations with your children. You will be judged by your color, no matter what color you are. I'm sorry, but there's a reason I take my African American friends with me to some restaurants, I they know this. The fact that they are okay with it solidifies my beliefs that when I walk in the majority of the patrons are going to think "what is that white woman doing here?" It's okay, I am aware of the situation, I still want the good food so I bring a friend. 

You will be judged by your clothes, no matter what they are. Dress preppy and you're a rich prick who doesn't know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck. Holes in your clothes, you don't have enough money to buy new. Pants sagging, clearly you don't abide by the law. The list goes on. 

You will be judged by your actions. Give the homeless man a few bucks and you think you're better than him, don't give it to him and your stingy. 

But above all teach them to think before they judge

You're children are going to judge their playmates, their family, the patrons at the grocery store. That's okay. They should, again it's a matter of survival to form opinions about those around you. Teach them to think it through. You think the woman in line in front of you is friendly or mean, why? Is it because of what she's wearing? Why? Because of something she said or did? How did it make you feel?

Teach your children to be insightful. Ask them what their first opinion of strangers is and then ask them 'why?'. 

I equate it to teaching teens abstinence. It's not enough to simply say 'dont have sex'. They're going to, teach them to be safe, the emotions that come along with the actions, and the consquensces. 

They're going to judge, teach them to judge with thought, with reason, with solid foundations. Not because someone else thinks so. 

Teach your children to think. This is what's going to change how we treat each other. 


No comments: