Thursday, January 17, 2013

Things we 'just don't talk about'

I hear it every day.

"We just don't tell people anymore."              
"I've stopped talking about it."
"We say 'sure is' when people ask."

It seems the culture to raise 'independent' children is so strong headed that the growing number of us that refuse to fit into that mold fall into silence. So here goes ...

Yes, I am still nursing my nine month old, and I plan to until she decides she no longer needs the nourishment  physical and emotional.
Yes, my daughter sleeps in bed with me. We start her in her crib at bedtime, and she sleeps there for naps.
Yes, she still wakes at night. In fact night waking is normal at this age, and for a while.
Yes, I let her play and explore as she wants. Am I afraid of germs? Sometimes. Is it going to stop me from letting her eat leaves and dirt? Only because it's a choking hazard.
Yes, when she whines or cries, I pick her up. I comfort her. I show her that people are here to help her, that she is not alone, and never will be.

No, I will not let her 'cry it out'. How upset would you be if you were ignored for no apparent reason?
No, I will not give her formula to help her sleep better. In fact she eats solid food like a champ. Still wakes at night. Still normal.
No, I we don't go on regular date nights. I have 'date night' every night at 7pm when she goes to bed. If my daughter cannot come with me/us then I'm going to think long and hard before I go.

So tell me, what do you not admit to when people ask?

No comments: