Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fabric Tutu

Before I added the tulle.
I was looking for something soft and feminine, fun and flirty yet different for my daughters one year photos coming up.

One year photos, did I really just say those words? Has it really been a year? This tutu was the inspiration for what we came up with. I couldn't find any 'how tos' that gave the look I wanted so I have created my own.

I used a mini stack, pre-cut quilting fabric, from Hobby Lobby and added some scraps that I had to give it a little more variation. The mini stacks come in 22x6in rectangles, which worked perfect for my 1 yr old. {Again, one, wow.} The fabric is attached to a piece of 1in ribbon with a slip knot. I tried attaching the ribbons as a rectangle and didn't like the harsh look it gave, too boxy and rigid. So I experimented with cutting them. I found the shape below gave the softest look, without looking like I tried too hard to achieve it, if you know what I mean.



First, Cut one corner on a 45 degree angle.
Then flip the fabric and cut the other side at the same 45 degree angle.







The resulting shape should look like this:


I then alternated the fabrics in a random pattern, attaching each one with a slip knot and ensuring the knots went in the same direction. I added a few pieces of tulle to soften it up a little more. These I left in rectangles to give them more body.

This was the finished product. 



After her photos, I'll add some of her wearing it, but that you have to wait for. *wink*

No comments: