Sunday, March 31, 2013

What Madison has taught me.

I still cannot believe it's been a year. It's been a crazy, exciting, emotional, long yet so short, year.

In twelve short months Madison has gone from a 'blob', as her daddy so affectionately called her, that had little muscle control and even fewer communication skills, to a walking running, babbling toddler that uses different cries and signals for different needs, words for different items, and {usually} expresses herself quite clearly, if you know what your listening for.

A few things haven't changed. She still is a cuddly as she was the day we met her. Along the way, she's taught me just as much as I've attempted to teach her. Here are a few of the big ones.




Things My One Year Old Taught Me

1} Sleep is over rated. Anyone who knows me, knows I do love to sleep. And there are still nights that Madison decides 3 am is a perfect time for a dance party or to practice her climbing skills that leave me a little frustrated and begging her to sleep. I have come to realize that this is usually because I feel I need this precious sleep to undertake whatever tasks lie ahead, same reason we get frustrated when we can't sleep. In reality, I have functioned on far less sleep. Flash back to college for a second, I am positive a few of those tests were taken on mere hours of sleep, if that. I have learned to take a deep breath and enjoy the time together in the darkness. After all, each of those perfect smiles are a gift. If she can't sleep at 3 am, and has chosen to spend that time cuddling with and climbing on me, I should appreciate it, to relish in our quiet time together. I'm still learning this one, by the way.

2} If it's not fun, don't do it. Madison is quite the independent little girl, and there is little in life that truly ruffles her feathers. She is even tempered, cheerful, and a beam of light. Sure, occasionally she gets upset because she can't have mommy's phone while she's enduring minute 14 of IRS hold music, but she recovers quickly. That being said, she will let you know if doesn't find whatever you are trying to make her do fun. I've really tried to embrace this. If something in my life isn't making me happy, if I don't enjoy it, I'm no longer going to do it. Yep, this is the reason I recently took a new position. I laughed during my interview and peer interview, and that is hard to come by. From here on out, if it's not play, I ain't doing it.

3} What's the point if I can't use it? Clothes, toys, dishes, furniture, anything really. I've lived my life so worried about getting clothes stained, breaking dishes, denting tables... you get the point. Madison plays hard, and things get destroyed in the process. But she has fun, and lots of it! So what if my favorite dress gets stained? It means I enjoyed wearing it. So what if my favorite toy gets broken? Again I had fun with it. So break out the fine china for Tuesday night dinner and wear your favorite dress to a BBQ. Furthermore  she has taught me that just because it no longer looks/acts like it did when it came out of the box doesn't mean you can't still have fun with it!

4} People have feelings. This is probably the biggest thing I've learned this year, and it's more than you think. People have feelings and you never know how what you say and do is taken. This lesson came in a more indirect way. We all need to be careful how we react to each other and to our children. Emotions and opinions should be respected, not belittled. Be open minded and caring. And let people have their feelings. During a conversation today I was telling a story of how Madison bumped her head or somehow hurt herself, and how she got upset, had some momma snuggles, and then went back to playing. I hadn't thought about it really, but she had a good point. She was okay because she was allowed to have her feelings, to share them, to feel listened to. That's all we ever want, to feel listened to.

5} Love everything! To it's fullest! No matter how small, menial, insignificant, large, overwhelming it may be, love it!

The days have been long, but the year short. I know it's cliche, but try to breathe it all in and enjoy every moment. They don't last long. I find myself missing 2am feedings that lasted 40 mins, feeling the love and need that those little eyes had for me.









No comments: